The Furtherfield ‘Open Spots’ programme of self-initiated and self-funded exhibitions and events support the presentation of new work and artistic invention, to discover new perspectives on the horizon of a wider networked society.
Curators and artists that meet Furtherfield's selection criteria can showcase work at Furtherfield Gallery in the heart of London's Finsbury Park. Open Spot projects can reach a new, diverse audience of gallery visitors, park users and Furtherfield’s online participants. In addition to presenting work in a professional London gallery setting, exhibitors also benefit from Furtherfield's specialist curatorial, production and marketing support.
Artists, hackers, techies, activists, thinkers and doers from all backgrounds, are invited to send us proposals that push the boundaries of art: exploring, challenging and critiquing everyday culture in the digital age.
Exhibitions may take any physical form, and all available network tools- software, email, browsers, apps, devices, implants; to wrangle, mangle, remix and appropriate utterances, files, behaviours, codes, glitch, protocols, instructions, manifestos, games, and net theories. The Furtherfield Open Spots programme is inspired by the Resonance FM Clear Spots running since 1998.
What is the deal?
- Furtherfield supports Open Spot exhibitions by providing exhibition space as well as curatorial, production and marketing support at no charge.
- Your proposal needs to be self-funded. This means you must have a plan to cover the cost of materials, signage, installation, and gallery hosting (usually we ask that two people are present to welcome visitors during opening hours)
- Open Spot proposals should be between 3 days and 2 weeks. Refer to application guidelines - downloadable here.
- Furtherfield team provide advice on production and interpretation for public display.
- Open Spot exhibitions are promoted via Furtherfield's active and established marketing channels to London, national and international audiences as well as diverse gallery visitors.
- The gallery must be left in the condition in which you find it.
Deadline for applications: 15 May 2015, 5pm
Announcement: Tuesday 2 July 2015
Open Spots 1: two weeks in August 2015
Open Spots 2: weekend in October 2015
Open Spots 3: two weeks in February 2016
The Open Spots programme sits outside of the core Furtherfield curatorial programme but amplifies and contributes to its ethos and mission. It extends the range of programmes for audiences and offers an opportunity for other artists and curators to share, present, exhibit and hold their events in the heart of London’s Finsbury Park.
Furtherfield is supported by Haringey Council and Arts Council England through the National Portfolio funding programme.